Sunday, April 15, 2018

Seeing Emmanuel in the every day


I have been a Christian since I was a young child. I grew up in the church and pursued Jesus the best I could in my young adult years. I made many mistakes like everyone does, but still tried. 
Like all other areas of my life, having children changed me spiritually.
When my husband and I welcomed our first son six weeks earlier than expected, I felt God's presence more clearly than ever in the following weeks spent at the hospital's NICU. As a family, we leaned on God to help us through our son's multiple health issues and the many sleepless nights of his first year. We praised Him when our baby became a stronger toddler and then a "normal" healthy preschooler.
But after I had my second son, I entered a dry spell in my walk with God. I still tried to read the Bible and pray, I still tried to go to church regularly, and I tried to focus on the many blessings in my life.
Despite these efforts, as a stay-at-home mother, I began to feel stuck in a spiritual and emotional rut. I became easily distracted during my quiet times, and I found it more difficult to get out of the house and join other Christian women.
And I was tired. So very tired. Reading the Bible and having a daily quiet time became just more things for my exhausted mind to do, and, honestly, I found less and less time to do them.
Now that my children are a little older, I am starting to find a better rhythm again, spiritually and emotionally. But I still find myself too distracted by the To-Do list, derailed often by minor sicknesses and rescheduled appointments. I also discovered from self-reflection that I have slowly given up many of the things that used to bring me true pleasure and traded them for somewhat pleasurable time-killers.
This is my season of life: trying to re-focus on God and draw closer to Him so I can follow Him into whatever the next season brings. I believe I am called to focus on my boys and creating a home for them that is safe and loving. But I also believe God has called me to reach out to other women, in all seasons of life, and let them know that God is with them, wherever they are.
Emmanuel is one of my favorite names for God, because I love the idea of Jesus being right with me. I know that in the mundane of everyday, it can be easy to not see Him. But He is there.
So I'm opening up this blog for ladies I know and respect to share their stories about their Emmanuel and how He is with them every day. I am not sure how lives will be touched through this venture, but God knows. I invite you to join us as we talk about Jesus in the everyday of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

D.E.B. Project: Helping Children in Need

D.E.B. Project is currently selling tickets for its first fashion show fundraiser. The event will take place Saturday, April 6, from 10 a...